Quilt ADD in therapy

My photo
Colorado, United States
Other than my family, the passion of my life is quilting. An eclectic, I love a wide variety of styles and techniques encompassing both machine and hand work. I am a longarm quilter who can work for you. I enjoy any style, from pantographs to all-over to full custom, ranging from traditional to modern. I love bringing vintage tops to life and am willing to work with a challenging quilt top. Instagram: lyncc_quilts

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

WIP'n Santa

::snicker::  Couldn't resist that post title.  Probably got up way too early.


Time to quilt!



I use a ton of pins when I domestic-quilt with a heavy backing such as Minky, fleece, or - in this case - corduroy.  I find my preferred 4-inch spread to be too loose, allowing too much give and resulting in unwanted pulls on the top between rows of stitching. 2.5 - 3 inches seems to solve that problem for me. First time I've done a corduroy back, so we'll see if that's still sufficient!  Spray basting would never stand up to the weight of this on a sofa-cuddler size.




I had designed this on paper and in EQ to call to mind a road that Santa was scooting on superimposed by a big chunk of the novelty fabric.  After constructing the oblique background, I laid the squares and "roads" out to find the slice points to insert the strips. . .  and I hated the overpowering effect of the roads. 




So I took them out from one top and let them sit overnight. (To my hubby's consternation, who wanted to shoot pool before bed.)




And the next morning, the un-stripped one was boringly bare and missing the whole concept of the road for the Santa on each square. Staring at them side-by-side some more, I wondered if there was just too much yellow. So I trimmed those way down, and that solved the entire problem. 

Such a huge improvement from a tiny adjustment. Design amazes me sometimes.  :D





Oh, I almost forgot - I have some patterns I'd like to give away. They're on This Post. If you'd be interested in any of them, leave a comment there. 



WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced


Thank you to Lee and this week's host for facilitating this motivational link-up!

10 comments:

  1. I love this! I definitely agree with you about the roads, they add such a fun, dramatic element. And this is such a lovely pattern for showing off fun prints. I love seeing a quilt that does that without being boring. As you say, good design!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All hail the tiny adjustment! :0) No, seriously, it's amazing what you can do with just a little tweaking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I really like this! I agree with the adjustment. It looks much better with less yellow. I can just imagine how fabulous it would be to snuggle under with corduroy on the back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice this quilt. I like very much the fabric of the blocks.
    Yasmin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, I really like this! The bias fabrics in the background are a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that Scootin Santa fabric, and your end result is really effective.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like what you've done with the fabric - very creative! I never would have thought of this! The road is a great idea! Nice to see I'm not the only one that uses paint tape on my quilts. It sure comes off easily, doesn't it? Thank you for the offer of the patterns - much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That top looks great! And good luck with the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a difference reducing that yellow made, it looks great. A corduroy backing too that is brave!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I answer each comment via email. Sometimes, though, the system fails to notify me that a comment has been left, and if you are a "No-Reply" commentor, I cannot respond. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much uncivil spam was coming through to leave the comments completely open.